Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 4 August 2015

Using stencils at Try It On Tuesday

Our new theme at Try it on Tuesday is 'Use a Stencil'. I am bit of a stencil addict so really enjoyed making my sample for this new topic!


I started by painting a canvas board with some acrylic paints - I did wonder whether they would mix but I needn't have worried.
The other weekend hubby and I went for a Lindsay Mason workshop - thoroughly enjoyed ourselves but still to post pictures of what we made. The techniques on this canvas are some of the things we learned!

Started with light blue base than added different shades of blue and some lighter brushing over with shades of purple

I then used pewter through a TH harlequin stencil and blue through the clockwork stencil
Then, used hair clay (one with a number 5 in it) as a resist, quite a lot, as I wanted to keep the base showing through!
I painted over with a light blue then left it to dry before rubbing the paint and clay off - I had left it in the sun as the clay rubs off better if warm(a heat tool would have worked too)
Next white through the same stencil


I stamped an old Inkadinkadoo stamp onto some lightweight card and 'fussy' cut it

Next came the paint - to paint out the patterns!
A hint of greenery using paint on a stamp, some gold spots added with the ends of brushes and I added the bird
I added a little Archival ink around the edge, some words and then the whole canvas was covered in Deco Arts Soft Varnish

I have seen Deco Arts products used on lots of blogs but up till the workshop hadn't tried the Media Fluid acrylics - only the crackle paint and paste - I am now hooked!!

I hope you will take a look at the fabulous samples at Try It On Tuesday and be inspired to take part this time.

I'll be back for T with Bluebeard and Elizabeth later.

Thanks for looking, Chris.

15 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely work Chris! Have a nice day, hugs, Valerie

sirkkis said...

Wonderful project, Chris. Thanks for showing the process.
Hugs xx

Barb said...

I love this Chris and what a great idea of yours painting over the bird with acrylic. Thanks for sharing step by step. Barbxx

Meggymay said...

A beautiful canvas Chris, love the background for the lovely bird image.
Yvonne xx

froebelsternchen said...

That's a fantastic project dear Chris! Fab to see the progress!
♥♥♥
Susi

Sandy said...

I don't know where time goes but you have captured a moment of time with your gorgeous canvas. I sure do appreciate the tutorial!
Sandy xx

Pamellia said...

Wow, beautiful piece Chris! I love that background and the harlequin stencilling works so well with that fabulous bird you painted! Stunning! hugs :)

Margik said...

Your canvas is fantastic, Chris! The colours are beautiful and I love the transformation of the cute bird. Great job today! Hugs, Mar

chrissie said...

Wonderful colours ans a beautiful bird

Love Chrissie xx

Mrs.B said...

This is a lovely canvas Chris, loved seeing the step by step process. haven't heard of using hair clay before!
Avril xx

Lynne Moncrieff said...

A clever way of using a stamp! I would never have thought of it, just imagine the possibilities for working with this method. The resist has worked a treat. A fabulous piece of art and aren't those words oh so true!!!
Wishes
Lynne

zandra said...

Love see the process thanks for sharing it. Love the canvas and use of the matt clay.
Hugz, Z

zandra said...

Love see the process thanks for sharing it. Love the canvas and use of the matt clay.
Hugz, Z

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A wonderful creation with great textured background.

Words and Pictures said...

Love your gentle sky streaked with clouds - such a sweet little canvas.
Alison xx